DLL required for this install to complete could not be run

Here you can find everything you need to know about Dll-Files. You can also share your knowledge regarding the topic.

Moderator: Master

DLL required for this install to complete could not be run

Postby nubix » Thu May 07, 2009 12:49 pm

Last night I allowed my computer to install Java 6 Update 11, but upon
installation received following error message:

"Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A
DLL required for this install to complete could not be run."

And later the following message:

"To complete installation at another time, please run setup again."

I haven't rerun the setup.

Is above version of Java non-compatible for Windows 98 SE?
If yes, what is the latest version of Java for Windows 98 SE?

Thanks to all.

John
nubix
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Re: Java, Etc

Postby 98 guy » Thu May 07, 2009 1:34 pm

nubix wrote:

> Last night I allowed my computer to install Java 6 Update 11,
> Is above version of Java non-compatible for Windows 98 SE?
> If yes, what is the latest version of Java for Windows 98 SE?

Is there any particular reason why you were trying to install JRE 6
update 11? The most recent version of the Java JRE 6 is update 13.

The last Java 6 version that will install on win-98 is update 7. The
MSI installer was modified after that update, rendering it incompatible
with the windows 98 msi installer.

In any case, you are advised to use the Java 5 version for win-98
systems. The last update for Java 5 is update 18.

Sun forces you to fill out a web-form before it presents you with a link
to the . You can bypass that garbage by following
this link:

Or to obtain the file , this direct link:


This was a "critical" JRE patch that was released on March 25.

Java 5 will be supported until October 30, 2009. Presumably, such
support includes patching any vulnerabilities that are discovered.
98 guy
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Re: Java, Etc

Postby thanatoid » Thu May 07, 2009 6:55 pm

Just curious, is there any valid reason for installing this
except liking to live dangerously? Every time I read about a new
Opera release in years past, it was suggested that the Java-less
version was the one to go with. (Now they don't even /offer/ a
Java version.)

I have never run across anything on the internet which said "you
don't have Java installed, we can't do this or that". Nor have I
run across any software which has told me that.

???

Thanks.

--
Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
are suitable, but will Pam secure that?
thanatoid
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Java, Etc

Postby nubix » Fri May 08, 2009 1:43 am

On Thu, 07 May 2009 09:34:19 -0400, 98 Guy <98@guy.com> wrote:

>nubix wrote:
>
>> Last night I allowed my computer to install Java 6 Update 11,
>> Is above version of Java non-compatible for Windows 98 SE?
>> If yes, what is the latest version of Java for Windows 98 SE?
>
>Is there any particular reason why you were trying to install JRE 6
>update 11? The most recent version of the Java JRE 6 is update 13.

It was needed by a business account I just opened on the Internet.
It was really stupid of me to allow it to install w/o first reading
whether the install was compatible with Win 98 SE. In past years prior
to installing a program I always ran InCtrl v5, closed all
applications and made a backup of the registry pre-installation.

Thanks, 98Guy. Much appreciated.

Last night attempted install created the following folder:
C:\windows\Application Data\Sun

Can this be deleted prior to installing Java 5?
Also, there is an old Sun folder in Windows\Sun. Wonder if this, too,
can be deleted or it's best not to delete anything.

Again, thank you very much.

John

>The last Java 6 version that will install on win-98 is update 7. The
>MSI installer was modified after that update, rendering it incompatible
>with the windows 98 msi installer.
>
>In any case, you are advised to use the Java 5 version for win-98
>systems. The last update for Java 5 is update 18.
>
>Sun forces you to fill out a web-form before it presents you with a link
>to the JRE 5-up-18 download. You can bypass that garbage by following
>this link:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/cnbamv
>
>Or to obtain the file jre-1_5_0_18-windows-i586-p.exe, this direct link:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/dktpy7
>
>This was a "critical" JRE patch that was released on March 25.
>
>Java 5 will be supported until October 30, 2009. Presumably, such
>support includes patching any vulnerabilities that are discovered.
nubix
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Re: Java, Etc

Postby nubix » Fri May 08, 2009 1:52 am

On Thu, 7 May 2009 17:59:43 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
<waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote:

>98 Guy <98@guy.com> wrote in news:4A02E35B.B8289103@guy.com:
>
><SNIP>
>
>> In any case, you are advised to use the Java 5 version for
>> win-98 systems. The last update for Java 5 is update 18.
>>
>> Sun forces you to fill out a web-form before it presents
>> you with a link to the JRE 5-up-18 download. You can
>> bypass that garbage by following this link:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/cnbamv
>>
>> Or to obtain the file jre-1_5_0_18-windows-i586-p.exe, this
>> direct link:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/dktpy7
>
><SNIP>
>
>Just curious, is there any valid reason for installing this
>except liking to live dangerously? Every time I read about a new
>Opera release in years past, it was suggested that the Java-less
>version was the one to go with. (Now they don't even /offer/ a
>Java version.)

I've had this computer (Win 98 SE) since August 2001 and have never
had any major problems with it nor have I ever installed anything that
wasn't absolutely necessary. Now the time has come to install this
Java theng or my work will be extremely limited. As far as I know it's
extremely necessary that I install this theng or I'm out of my job.

Other than this necessity, I agree with you 100%, thanatoid.

Thanks so much for the response and advice.

John

>I have never run across anything on the internet which said "you
>don't have Java installed, we can't do this or that". Nor have I
>run across any software which has told me that.
>
>???
>
>Thanks.
nubix
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Re: Java, Etc

Postby thanatoid » Fri May 08, 2009 2:55 am

nubix <idrops@neat.com> wrote in
news:kl37055koi9e8tl9tr2sth4cbo8uc8juap@4ax.com:

> On Thu, 7 May 2009 17:59:43 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
> <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote:

<SNIP>

>>Just curious, is there any valid reason for installing this
>>except liking to live dangerously? Every time I read about
>>a new Opera release in years past, it was suggested that
>>the Java-less version was the one to go with. (Now they
>>don't even /offer/ a Java version.)
>
> I've had this computer (Win 98 SE) since August 2001 and
> have never had any major problems with it nor have I ever
> installed anything that wasn't absolutely necessary. Now
> the time has come to install this Java theng or my work
> will be extremely limited. As far as I know it's extremely
> necessary that I install this theng or I'm out of my job.

Well, that IS a good reason. My lifestyle being what it is, I
regularly forget about the existence of crucial elements of the
real world.

> Other than this necessity, I agree with you 100%,
> thanatoid.
>
> Thanks so much for the response and advice.

Well, it was hardly that...



--
Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
are suitable, but will Pam secure that?
thanatoid
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:00 pm


Return to Everything about Dll-Files

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 0 guests

cron