Bad Image

Here you can find everything you need to know about Dll-Files. You can also share your knowledge regarding the topic.

Moderators: DllAdmin, DLLADMIN ONLY

55Upscale

Bad Image

Post by 55Upscale »

So here's the story. I suck at computers, see? We lost our internet during an ice storm and I figured I'd take the time to clean out my machine. I went into programs and ripped out everything that wasn't nailed down. All my downloadable content, gone. I looked anywhere and everywhere to find things that didn't look interesting and threw them out.

So now on every startup, I get this message that says, try re-installing msvcr100.dll. I do my research, found this place, and tried to replace it. Now I get a message titled Bad Image. Windows has trouble reading the .dll, it basically says there's either a problem with the program or it wasn't designed for windows. Try re-installing it.

I have done this at least a dozen times. I've extracted it into my system32 and my system. I'm not dragging and dropping an already extracted program either. I'm extracting straight from the .zip into the system32 (don't know if that makes a difference).

I've concluded from clues that I've gotten over hours of banging my head on this keyboard that for whatever reason, my computer can't read the DLL itself. I'm out of hints here, the FAQ was no help and from the research I've done from other forums, this seems to be a fairly unique problem.

I don't even know the right question to ask anymore. I'm stumped beyond reason.

advertisement
DllAdmin
Site Admin

Re: Bad Image

Post by DllAdmin »

Hello.

The file you're having trouble with belongs to Microsoft Visual C++ 2010. Since replacing the file on it's own didn't work, there is at least one more thing you can try to solve it, and that is by re-installing the following program from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... px?id=5555

55Upscale

Post by 55Upscale »

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. I'll try to be as detailed and accurate as I can now.

There seems to have been a problem with the installation of Visual C++ 2010 according to Windows. I tried re-installing it, then I tried again as an administrator. The message saying there was a problem with the installation didn't show up when I installed it as an administrator, so I remained hopeful and restarted my computer. It didn't work.

The message I've been receiving is from avgnt.exe. I only just found out it's for Avira, my anti-virus protection. The message says, C:\Windows\system32\msvcr100.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or software vendor for support.

When I run CMD to test the DLL from there, this is the message I receive. "RegSvr32" The module "msvcr100.dll" may not compatible with this version of Windows that you're running. Check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.exe." I don't have a system 64 bit as far as I know. There isn't a folder for it. There is "system" and "system 32".

I feel like I should be completely honest here if I'm ever going to solve this thing. I don't have a genuine copy of Windows (wasn't really my choice). It is something I'm going to solve VERY soon though (which I hope will solve this headache in the process). I have a sinking feeling that is the reason everything isn't working all of a sudden. Deleting things I wasn't supposed to just placed me in a situation I can't get out of.

DllAdmin
Site Admin

Post by DllAdmin »

If you have 64-bit version you should have a folder called SysWOW64, and if you do, you should try installing this file too:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=14632
This is assuming you have Windows Vista or 7.

But if that's not the case, it does seem like you accidentally removed something that should've been left alone, and once you do get your hands on a Windows installation disc, a reinstall will for sure solve the problem.

Henix

Post by Henix »

Unfortunately I am having this problem as well, and even if I download the DLL itself and move it to my System32 directory, I'm given a Bad Image error.

DllAdmin
Site Admin

Post by DllAdmin »

What program is it that gives the error message?

CatalinaWagner

Post by CatalinaWagner »

Hi there! I am also not experienced in computers, software and technology, so when I faced the same problem, I simply asked my brother to fix it for me. That time he managed to do it somehow, now I asked him how so that I could post the solution, but he simply cannot remember... I am at all clueless...

halppo

Post by halppo »

Having the same problem using pocketsphinx_batch.exe and pocketsphinx_continuous.exe. Help would be appreciated. The exact error message is, "The application or DLL c:\windows\system32\msvcr100.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."