winlogon.exe hijacks the computer on ntdll.dll

Here you can find everything you need to know about Dll-Files. You can also share your knowledge regarding the topic.

Moderators: DllAdmin, DLLADMIN ONLY

Stanley

winlogon.exe hijacks the computer on ntdll.dll

Post by Stanley »

Please don't ask me what I did before it began to happen, because I don't keep a log, but apart from some minor effects, it has stabilized like this...

Every time I boot the computer (Windows XP), everything is normal. A few (5-10?) minutes after I've started using it, regardless of the browser I've been using (Chrome, Firefox, Netscape, MSIE), or even without opening any browser at all, according to the Task Manager, 100% of the processor is taken up by winlogon.exe, and this situation remains for some 10 (?) minutes. If I leave it alone, after it's done, I get a message that Windows Explorer (sic! - not Internet Explorer) has recoveed from a serious error, and must be shut down. There is an option to get information, and it tells me the problem is with ntdll.dll. So I say OK, and in a couple of seconds Explorer shuts down, reopens, and it's back to normal.

So I bought DLL-files, and ran it. Of course, on the first run it found the expected crowd of DLL problems, and I had them all fixed. Yet the problem remained.

So I used DLL-files to search for ntdll.dll, and it found only 6.1.7601.17514, which is for win7.spi. I installed it, but the problem didn't go away. Then, on http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ntdll, under Alternative Versions, I found ntdll.dll 5.1.2600.3520 for xpsp_sp2 plus an older one alike. Downloaded the newer one for Win XP, unzipped it, booted on DOS, and replaced the Win7 ntdll.dll with it. I checked on DOS that I had actually accomplished changing it.

Now, if I have some patience at boot time, to wait for the winlogon.exe x ntdll.dll 'fight' to end, the system is stable afterwards. Btw, I read a lot about this issue via Google, and saw the most farfecthed solutions, some of them including turning off Windows' protection of system files. No consistency among countless solutions on what the problem actually is.

Questions now are:

1. Shouldn't DLL-files offer me the possibility of choosing from all three ntdll.dll's on the database, instead of forcing the one for Win 7? ... since I have XP? (so I wouldn't need to do it manually under DOS)

2. Any proposed solution for the winlogon hijack due to ntdll.dll?

Thanks!

advertisement
DllAdmin
Site Admin

Re: winlogon.exe hijacks the computer on ntdll.dll

Post by DllAdmin »

Hello Stanley

We are currently working on a new version of the DLL-Files Fixer, with exactly the functionality you are requesting. OS detection to provide the correct file, directly through the fixer, so you would not have to download and install manually, just because you are not running the latest system.

I will look into your issue with winlogon and ntdll.dll, but do not have a solution right now.

Regards
DLL-Files.com

Stanley

Re: winlogon.exe hijacks the computer on ntdll.dll

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for your attention. I noticed the software is new, so that was a suggestion about the different versions of a dll from your own database.

If you google the winlogon vs. ntdll issue, you'll see the craziest solutions. However it seems that nobody has uncovered what really happens. I suspect there would be some other software involved as well. In my case, the first one I'd investigate would be AVG (full).