Insufficient permissions

Do you need help with your Fixer? Ask a question here!

Moderators: DllAdmin, DLLADMIN ONLY

ulises48

Insufficient permissions

Post by ulises48 »

When installing a new msvfw32.dll file I get this message:

Install failed. Insufficient permissions.
Please try again, or contact support for help.

I get this from the FAQ in support:

What is error message “Install failed. Files in use / Insufficient permissions” when installing a dll file?
If a dll file is in use, it can not be overwritten.
If a file is in use, it is definitely not missing, and probably not corrupted.
Try re-installing the program producing the error.

This doesn't help.

I can not do anything to the .dll file: rename, delete, shred, replace, overwrite, etc.

Thanks in advance
Ulises

advertisement
DllAdmin
Site Admin

Re: Insufficient permissions

Post by DllAdmin »

Hi ulises48,

If a file is in use, it is definitely not missing, and probably not corrupted. This indicates the problem might be somewhere else.

Have you tried re-installing the program that gives you an error regarding this file?

What is your issue with the msvfw32.dll?
In other word, what error are you hoping to solve by replacing it?

What is the exact and complete error message you get?
When do you get this error?
Which program is requesting this file?

What have you tried so far for solving this error?

ulises48

Post by ulises48 »

DllAdmin wrote:Hi ulises48,

If a file is in use, it is definitely not missing, and probably not corrupted. This indicates the problem might be somewhere else.

The file is there, but can not be manipulated in any way.

Have you tried re-installing the program that gives you an error regarding this file?
Yes

What is your issue with the msvfw32.dll?
In other word, what error are you hoping to solve by replacing it?

Games not running

What is the exact and complete error message you get?
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msvfw32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0x000012f."

When do you get this error?
When running a game and before it starts

Which program is requesting this file?
Several

What have you tried so far for solving this error?
Reemplace the .dll file, bought two dll files fixer programs, reinstalling games, defragmenting HD,

NOTE: This problem began when I "upgraded" ("downgraded" I should say) Win 7 to Win 10.

DllAdmin
Site Admin

Post by DllAdmin »

Hello Ulises48,

dll file msvfw32.dll is a Microsoft Video for Windows DLL .

Make sure you have all relevant versions of DirectX installed, and that they are up to date;
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/179113

Also make sure you are up to date with Windows updates.
Search for updates, install available updates, restart computer. Repeat until no more updates are found.

Should installing DirectX and all available Windows updates not be enough, try the Windows tool SFC;

Open an elevated command prompt.
To do this, press Win + X shortcut keys together on the keyboard, and select "Command Prompt(Admin)".
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Run the SFC /Scannow 3 times to give it a chance to repair files.

Best regards
Erik
DLL-Files.com

ulises48

Post by ulises48 »

Thank you very much.
I did that. The sfc /scannow command apparently did nothing.
However, I was able to fix the problem by manipulating the permissions for that particular file by means of tweaking the Properties.

Thanks again for your answer.

Ulises

DllAdmin
Site Admin

Post by DllAdmin »

Hello Ulises,

Great to hear that your issue has been resolved!

Thank you for letting us know.

Welcome back at any time!

Best regards
Erik
DLL-Files.com

jive_rose

Post by jive_rose »

May I tag along on this thread?

I had the same issue. I fiddled with the permissions on the dll file I wish to replace (kernelbase.dll); I have granted full read/write/modify access to this file. Now when I try to install the new kernelbase.dll file, I receive the error message "Install failed". It no longer mentions "Insufficient permissions", but is still failing.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
Jennifer

P.S. My larger issue is that I have downloaded a software called Tableau Public on my Windows 10 laptop. When I try to run Tableau, it appears to try to start, then just stops. I checked my event logs and it shows that trying to run Tableau throws a kernelbase.dll error, and sometimes an ntdll.dll error. I have run the sfc scannow and dism ... scan/restore health scripts, and they indicate that all files are present and healthy and not corrupted.

I looked at the kernelbase.dll file my system folder. I noticed that you have a version of kernelbase.dll that may be more current than the version on my laptop. I hope that replacing the file with the newer/different version might allow Tableau to run.

DllAdmin
Site Admin

Post by DllAdmin »

Hello Jennifer,

kernelbase.dll is a system file, and is being used when in Windows.

You can not overwrite a file in use.

Since the file is there, at least we know it is not missing. Since Windows is currently working, it would be a pretty safe guess to say that the kernelbase.dll is not corrupted.

Make sure "Tableau Public" is compatible with your current system, and that you have installed all needed prerequisites.

Try re-installing the latest few "Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable packages".
If using a 32bit (x86) Windows system, install the 32bit (x86) version.
If using a 64bit (x64) Windows system, install both the 32bit (x86), and the 64bit (x64) versions.

Available from Microsoft at;
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977003

Best regards
Erik
DLL-Files.com

KingJorge

Post by KingJorge »

Hi

My Error Message is "the procedure entry point OpenEventW could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll" and when i try to replace or repair the dll "api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll" with DLL-Files.com it gives me the "insufficient permissions" error.

I've also run the sfc /scannow command and the message i received was "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

So i'm still stuck with the error "the procedure entry point OpenEventW could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll" every time i open a program i get this error.

I'd appreciate your help.

DllAdmin
Site Admin

Post by DllAdmin »

Hello KingJorge,

Errors referencing "api-ms-win"* files are commonly caused by missing updates, packages, or bad updates.

First, make sure you are fully up to date with Windows Updates;
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ows-update

You might also want to manually install the "Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows"
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226

If that is not enough, also install "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio" 2013 and 2015.

If using a 32bit (x86) Windows system, install the 32bit (x86) version.
If using a 64bit (x64) Windows system, install both the 32bit (x86), and the 64bit (x64) versions.

Available from Microsoft at;
2013: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... le-package
2015: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=53587

If install complains that this package is already installed, do "Repair" or un-install before installing.

Best regards
Erik
DLL-Files.com