System recovery stopped at *missing or corrupt file* hal.dll

Here you can find everything you need to know about Dll-Files. You can also share your knowledge regarding the topic.

Moderators: DllAdmin, DLLADMIN ONLY

tjdinfla

System recovery stopped at *missing or corrupt file* hal.dll

Post by tjdinfla »

I got a virus on my PC, so I did a system recovery with my disk (I only have one, and assume it's the only one I ever had, but I got it in 2006 so I can't be completely sure, but the manual, papers, disk, etc have been together in a drawer since I got it so I'm pretty sure it only came with one).

After running the disk I got what I'm learning tonight is the dreaded message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file".. It went completely through the whole restore process, right down to prompting me to click restart. When I restart it looks like it is going to, but then it just stops at a black screen and gives me the message about the corrupt or missing file. I ran the disk 3 times, each time, same result.
QUESTIONS:
1) I'm wondering if it is possible to download the file and save it to a disk from another computer and put it on mine somehow?
2) If this is possible, can it be done and is it safe to download it to a PC that runs on Windows Vista? (The affected pc is Windows XP Home Edition)
3) If this is possible, then will the system recognize that I have inserted a disk containing the file?

It seems that if I'm to do what it is asking (or at this point it is more like a demand since the pc won't do anything but show me this message), then what I'm asking in question 2 is my only option.

I know this topic has been discussed prior to my post but I haven't seen my exact symptoms, that's the reason for my post, just want to clarify since mine may look like a duplicate. The reason I feel mine is different is because my file became missing or corrupt during the system restore and my computer will do nothing other than get to a black screen and show me this message. So simply downloading the file is not an option for me as I can't do anything with my PC other than look at this black screen.

Thank you