dll loaded but dll register server entry point was not found

Here you can find everything you need to know about Dll-Files. You can also share your knowledge regarding the topic.

Moderators: DllAdmin, DLLADMIN ONLY

clive

dll loaded but dll register server entry point was not found

Post by clive »

Hello hope someone can offer advice please

Am running windows xp home edition.

pc running fine and stable with ie8 installed plus all service packs

shut down normally last night and started ok this morning. went on internet to check internet banking
on one particular site instead of getting the normal log in page I got a message saying that my browser was not supported---its been fine forever.

the banks technical support advised a reinstall of ie8 which i downloaded from microsoft and ran.

installation went normally but on restart i got the message
the ordinal 173 could not be located in dll iertutil.dll

windows loaded to wallpaper only but can access task manager

then tried safemode but got same message

can load into c prompt through safemode

The uninstall, shutdown and reinstall was carried out by the microsoft installer with no input from me

Whether that counts as a full uninstall I'm not sure

Of paramount importance for me is to avoid loss of data

Any idea whatthe latest or correct version of the dll is?

I have downloaded one with version 7.0.5454.4

Ok I have tried two routes

1 downloaded .dll mentioned previously and copied from usb into windows system directory through safe mode. rebooted no change still get same error message.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

2) tried the microsoft route of uninstalling ie8 as per their article above again through the command prompt in safe mode. didn't find path

also this pc has sp3 installed and there seems to be some info about not being able to uninstall ie8

I tried the alternative method as described however the path could not be found to the spuninst.exe

I pulled up the directory from the command prompt insafe mode which shows that ie8\spuninst exists with what appears to be two unnamed directorys which appear empty and two temp.dll files. cannot at this point find an exe file.

I reloaded the iertutil.dll file, and openedthe directory to ensure that it was installed in the windows system directory.

I then rebooted normally and still got the original message.

Back to safe mode

I then ran regsvr32 iertutil.dll

this gave an error message
the dll was loaded but the .dll register server entry point was not found file can not be registered

now I have not a clue what that means or why the spuninst.exe appears to be missing